Thursday, April 07, 2005

Why Developers dislike Project Managers?

It is a legendary war. In same breath as the daughter in laws and mother in laws, there is a feeling that other side just does not get it. Both sides of course thinks that they have the best interest of the project/organization etc. in their minds. (Of course they do, but just don't seem to see it in the same angle).

Where would I stand on this is difficult to state because my current role is that off a part developer and part project manager. And then you also have account for the fact I am really leading an remote team and am a front face of that team at a client site.

So that really makes it - Down the creek without - the paddle, lifejacket, helmet and the canoe.

Of course, when I was a developer, of course had no love for my project manager. The one I had 6 years back, though she may had been good at heart, she was a nightmare when it came to setting unrealistic deadlines. Of course, back then, I was fresh from college and too cocky to realize the bigger picture and her pressures.

Then couple of years ago, I had a project manager far too liberal, excerised little too less control and hardly had any focus. The project was a disaster, never really got off the ground. Ultimately lead to loss of job, including mine, sadly.

No comments: